Having a walk-in cooler or commercial freezer malfunction is a big deal. In today’s blog, we’re going to offer up some warning signs your walk-in cooler or freezer might give off that shows it is not running properly or that it may be on its last leg.
If your restaurant freezer is showing any of the red flags below, be sure to get in touch with Robinson Mechanical, your local heating and refrigeration repair experts. We offer free freezer repair consultations for commercial walk-in coolers and freezers, and would love to help get your freezer running in top shape. Keep reading to learn more!
5 Red Flags From Your Dying Walk-In Freezer
- Warm Food or Defrosting Freezer: This can be caused by several issues and is the most common sign of a refrigeration problem. Often times, you may just need a new door seal (or to check and ensure nothing is blocking the door). To see if it is an issue with your door gasket, try closing a dollar bill into the door. There should be some resistance when pulling the bill out — freezer doors are heavy and should be closed tightly. If the bill slips right out, you’ve likely found your problem.
- Frost Buildup: Frost buildup in a freezer or walk-in cooler occurs when warm, humid air gets into the freezer. Similar to the above warning sign, this can be caused by a loose or broken door gasket. However, it can also be a sign of a larger issue. Either way, it is best to call a refrigeration repair contractor before trying to fix the problem yourself.
- You Can Hear Your Freezer: If you hear a low buzzing or humming sound, your walk-in cooler motor might be working a little harder than it should. From time to time, especially during the hotter months, your cooler might work overtime to keep food cold, but this shouldn’t be happening 24/7. This is a sign that your walk-in freezer or cooler is having trouble reaching and maintaining lower temperatures. This constant hard work usually results in a spike in your electric bill, so keep an eye out for that as well.
- Water Pooling Below Your Appliance: If your walk-in freezer or cooler is leaking water, you are most likely in need of some basic repairs. Leaking water can be caused by a couple of things, such as a blocked defrost drain or a crack in your water supply line. You might even have no power going to your appliance and water is leaking out of a defrosting freezer! While it may seem like one of the worst warning signs on the list, there are actually typically some easy fixes for a leaking walk-in cooler or freezer as long as the problem is promptly addressed.
- You Feel Heat Coming From Your Walk-In Cooler: For an appliance whose sole purpose it is to keep things cold, it can be very alarming when you suddenly feel heat coming from the back of your freezer. While most commercial coolers and freezers run a little warmer towards the back where the motors are, it shouldn’t actually feel warm inside of your appliance. If it does, you could have an issue with the coils. For coils to keep your freezer cold, they need to become hot as they use energy to cool your appliance. However, these coils are insulated and therefore should not be leaking heat into your freezer or cooler. If the insulation is broken, the coils are dirty, or they are malfunctioning, they can run hot.
Schedule A Free Walk-In Freezer Repair Consultation
Your Columbus, Indiana and surrounding area- freezer and refrigeration repair company, Robinson Mechanical, is dedicated to providing you with the best service in the industry. We are committed to offering our clients upfront costs, no hidden fees, honest service. We will offer our professional insight into your situation in order to ensure that your commercial cooler or walk-in freezer is running properly and take steps to fix any problems we find. Get in touch today to schedule a walk-in freezer repair consultation!